Sunday, April 21, 2013

4/21/2013


  A baptism is a public commitment to Christ. It shows others that you walk with Christ, and are fully committed to Him. I will be getting baptized sometime in the near future. I still need to fix a date with my Pastor, but I made the decision I want to be baptized. I was talking with my grandpa over the weekend and he was telling me that he would really like to see me get baptized before going to Kenya. He told me all about it and he also told me it had to be my decision, so he said to think it over. I told him I would.

    I've had something on my mind for quite some time now, it was something Pastor Mike said a while back. He said, you have to die to live. I really struggled with this concept. I realize that as a Christian, you shouldn't be afraid to die, you're going up to party with Jesus and what could be greater than that? But I do struggle with that sometimes, along with other fears. Everyday I would pray really hard about this, about what I had do to die to live, even though I was so fearful. I would ask God to help me through my fears, and overtime those fears have become less prevalent in my life. But I was still unsure about how to die in order to live, until I talked to my grandpa.

    I was thinking about what he had told me about baptisms and making sure it was the right thing for me to do. In a baptism, when you are immersed into the water, you are being buried just as Christ was, you hold your breath, as if you aren't alive. Then you rise from the water as Jesus rose from the dead and you are given new life. As I was processing all this, it hit me hard in the gut. And I understood. It's funny how that happens sometimes, how you get it all of a sudden. You're super confused one minute, and the next, you are in a state of clarity, and you hear what God is telling you. Any time this happens, I'm always thrown back in amazement because He really does work in mysterious ways and it's always amazing when you finally see it. 

    Writing this post has been fairly difficult, because I'm not one to put myself out there, and I'm laying a lot down right here. But I really feel it's important to be completely honest through this journey in my blog, to help me on my walk with Christ. 


    Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."
Matthew 16:24

No comments:

Post a Comment